Power Strip Surge Protector Safety 101

Hdmi highspeed cable

Today’s variety of tech gizmos and gadget require a lot of power in order to continue powering the people that use them. Does your home’s electrical system have what it takes to safely power your desktop computer, laptop computer, cell phone, tablet, and smart watch on top of everything else it has to power, such as your hot water heater, dryer, and dishwasher? If your home was built decades ago and hasn’t had any major electrical safety upgrades in recent years, then it’s electrical system is most likely out of date. And just like spoiled milk or food, out of date electrical systems can pose some serious safety threats!

Not only is the risk of an electrical malfunction that much higher with an out of date electrical system, but out of date electrical systems are also extremely ineffectual. Not only do they have a hard time meeting your household’s demand for electricity, but they use more resources than necessary in order to do so. This means higher than normal electrical bills and tolls taken on the environment. The best way to resolve this problem is to hire a licensed and professional electrical contractor to perform an electrical efficiency and safety audit in order to determine what electrical safety upgrades are best for your home.

There are also plenty of things that you can do on your own in order to improve your home’s electrical safety, one of which is knowing how to safely and effectively use power strip surge protectors. Thanks to all tech that people just like you use these days, power strip surge protectors have become a staple in many homes. It’s common to see a variety of USB cables, cell phone cables, and network ethernet cables plugged into and flowing out of power strips, but it’s also common for these handy dandy electrical devices to be misused. Any misuse of an electrical device poses a serious safety threat, so it’s important to know how to use electrical equipment and devices safely.

Take a look at thee power strip surge protector safety tips.

Don’t use power strips in or around moist environments

This might seem like it goes without saying, but you’d be surprised how easy it is to forget that water and electricity do not mix well and should be kept far away from each other. This a common yet fatal mistake that puts your safety at risk and could also potentially damage your valuable electronics. Never store or use power strips in or around water, that includes in the bathroom or kitchen or even a garage that isn’t climate controlled. If you really need a power strip in any of these areas, call a professional electrician to have one hard wired into a wall or purchase a power strip that is specifically made for use in moist environments.

Don’t string them along

Daisy chains were a fun and cute project when you were in kindergarten, but stringing extension cords and power strips together is a recipe for electrical disaster and danger. This creates the potential for serious damage to occur to your electronics, your electrical system, and most importantly, yourself! And you should never have more than one power strip surge protector plugged into an outlet at a time. This is especially true for older electrical systems that are overdue for a safety upgrade.

Use the right kind for the right job

If you’re hanging Halloween or Christmas lights up outdoors, you won’t have much a display if you’re using the wrong power strip surge protectors. It’s important to use ones that are only meant for outdoor use. Never make the mistake of assuming you can simply use a power strip from the inside of your home outdoors, or the consequences could be dire. Likewise, power strips meant for outdoor use should never be used indoors.

Replace at the first sign of failure

If you notice your power strip is malfunctioning in any way or show signs of wear, tear, and damage, then it’s time to toss it and replace it immediately. While it’s true that many things can be repurposed, damaged power strips are one of them and should always be replaced at the first sign of damage.




There are no comments

Add yours